The Artist-in-Residence Programme at Q21/MuseumsQuartier in Vienna is part of ERSTE Foundation’s educational program and its long-term endeavour to support contemporary art and to strengthen the situation of its creators, especially in the region of Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe. The residence program is realized together with ERSTE Foundation’s long-time cooperation partners from tranzit, Igor Zabel Association and Kontakt Collection. Kontakt Collection collaborates with the Zagreb based WHW Akademija.
The residencies are designed for artists, curators and theoreticians from Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Slovak Republic and Slovenia working in the field of critical contemporary visual art to do research in their respective area.
Given the urgency, we would like to express our solidarity with Ukraine and the people who have to endure or flee from the ongoing war there. We are therefore opening the "Artist-in-Residence Program at Q21/MQ in Vienna" to Ukrainian artists and curators and are dedicating the first half of the year 2023 to them: Three residency places of two months go to artists from Ukraine. The remaining six months will be divided into one-months stays for CEE participants.
The research character of the residency should make it possible to take a break from strenuous situations, from everyday production pressure and find time to concentrate on a specific interest. The participants are given the opportunity to live and work in one of the MuseumsQuartier studios right in the heart of Vienna. The apartments offer both living and working space, but do not provide room for large-scale artistic works. During the stay various meeting possibilities are offered to the participants.
Each residency grants a monthly stipend of EUR 1.050,-.
Together with its cooperation partners from tranzit.at, tranzit.cz, tranzit.hu, tranzit.ro, tranzit.sk, Igor Zabel Association and Kontakt Collection/WHW Akademija, ERSTE Foundation forms the jury to select the participants.
Everyone eligible is invited to take part in the open call.
Applications have to include the following two documents:
1.) Complete digital application form, including the following information:
• Your contact information
• Letter of intent explaining why you apply, what you expect and what you would like to focus on during the residence (max. 5000 characters)
• Brief informative curriculum vitae (max. 1 page)
2.) Portfolio (max. 10 MB)
Please download the application form below
• Accepted candidates are required to use the residence in its full length during the following fixed periods:
we offer 3 slots of 2 months in the beginning of the year:
#1 January – February 2023
#2 March – April 2023
#3 May – June 2023
For Hungary: July 2023
For Czech Republic August 2023
For Croatia: September 2023
For Romania: October 2023
For Slovak Republic: November 2023
For Slovenia: December 2023
• Applicants who have already received this residence in recent years or have previously participated in other educational programs supported by ERSTE Foundation like the Fellowships for Curators and Artists at Salzburg Summer Academy or the WHW Akademija Zagreb will not be given priority.
• Applicants are asked to hand in a written report after completion of the residence.
• The correct application form is required (please see above for download link), other application formats cannot be accepted. All documents must be sent as PDF.
Applications are accepted only in English and by e-mail until: 18.09.2022
Please send your application with subject "Q21/MQ AiR 2023" to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected participants will be notified latest until end of October 2022
For further questions, please contact Larissa Agel / tranzit.at: email@example.com
Photo credit: (c) Q21